Favorite Place

My list of favorite places is long and sweet and, while none of them are in Kansas, they all look a lot like home.  I chose to illustrate the first backyard I remember with the view from my bedroom window.  The woven background represents a patchwork of backyards mine was part of.  The tree was an ancient, gnarly, Golden Delicious.  Perfect for climbing, hiding, reading.  Of course all this brought to mind ( to haunt me!) Yeats' "Song of Wandering Aengus" and "the silver apples of the moon, the golden apples of the sun."  As much as I like the poem, I soon regretted choosing metallic fabrics as they are so difficult to work with and to photograph.  I fused two pieces of fabric back to back, cut out the shapes and tacked them onto the quilt with handstitched stems and veins which worked fairly well.  My favorite challenge thus far as I revisited a very pleasant time and place.

0 Comments